Author Topic: New member - Help with site please....  (Read 3738 times)

Trevor Carvey

New member - Help with site please....
« on: February 15, 2015, 08:58:45 am »
Just signed up to join PTL...... yes a great looking tool and lots of scope to analyse but guys, pleeease............where is the decent help / instruction pages???”!!!!   it doesn’t help at all that i can go in and be offered all these options to run backtestes etc and there is hardly any explanation of what the terms mean.  You are aiming this at ‘retail’ people remember...NOT professional/ quants. I have an acct with IB and autotrade and want to explore PTL to do this BUT you have to explain better and help people on PTL to build our own analyses and models...as it is currently people are floundering around trying to work out what all of these options and drop dropdowns mean.

So can you help with the following...
Ratio vs Residual....pls explain difference between these
Exit and Entry ‘threshold’...it ask for a num,ber...wehat is this exactly as there are no ‘units’ shown
StdDev period – asks for a number – no units shown though ...what is this exactly?
RSI period and RSI threshold – what are these numbers?  No units shown and what are they pls?
Enty mode – what does this mean?
Max trade duration – no units shown – is this the no of days before it closes the trade? When i start a backtest how do i get the pairs trade to close at a specific profit ot loss?  I want to do this rather than just run it for a set number of days
I want to open a trade when the pairs move apart by a certain % figure – how do i set this up on the backtest ?

So yes, i think you have built something of real value but you have to give a better guide to people and explain better what we have to do to build solid backtests i think
Thanks

admin

• Administrator
    • Pair Trading Lab
Re: New member - Help with site please....
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 01:19:56 pm »
Dear Trevor,

we are aware that we are missing documentation and tutorials, but we wait for one big, critical feature to be developed, before we can start working on that. This will happen in few weeks.

Most questions you are looking for have been already documented though:
https://wiki.pairtradinglab.com/wiki/Pair_Trading_Models

About units:
All periods are expressed in trading days, durations in calendar days.

We don't support opening pair when it moves apart by certain %. This does not give much sense anyway.

Kind regards,
Karel