Author Topic: Multiple Pairs/One Account Binding  (Read 5702 times)

D.J. Vorreyer

Multiple Pairs/One Account Binding
« on: August 07, 2016, 10:04:54 pm »
If I read the trader manual correctly, "So you can bind just two of your portfolios to an IB account."

I've recently created a second set of trading pairs that I'd like to bind to my IB account along with my original set.  When I try to bind, I receive an error message saying: "There is another portfolio already bound to this account."

If I have two portfolios in PTL, shouldn't I be able to bind the second to my IB account?

admin

• Administrator
    • Pair Trading Lab
Re: Multiple Pairs/One Account Binding
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:22:51 am »
It must be different IB account from the first one.

Gayan Samarakoon

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 12:42:07 am »
so to confirm - only one portfolio can be bound to one IB account at anytime?

the solution to run multiple portfolios => either multiple IB accounts OR combine all portfolios as one?

admin

• Administrator
    • Pair Trading Lab
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 04:39:47 am »
Yes and yes :)

Pedro Desouza

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 12:30:54 pm »
Hello,
I am new to Pairtradinglab.
Given the restriction of "one portfolio bound to an IB account at any time," what is the best way to replace an old portfolio with a new one? Do I need to close all positions created by the old portfolio before binding the new one? Is there a way that the new one can pick up the open positions and continue from there?
Thanks!

tcima

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 11:13:18 pm »
I wish I could switch a portfolio to another easily.
Currently I'm using the buttons in the Maintenance section to replace pairs individually to change the contents of portfolio.

Pedro Desouza

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 08:33:13 am »
Thank you, tcima!
You confirmed my suspicion.
Hopefully, the developers at Pairtradinglab are reading this...

admin

• Administrator
    • Pair Trading Lab
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 04:27:20 pm »
Hello,
I am new to Pairtradinglab.
Given the restriction of "one portfolio bound to an IB account at any time," what is the best way to replace an old portfolio with a new one? Do I need to close all positions created by the old portfolio before binding the new one? Is there a way that the new one can pick up the open positions and continue from there?
Thanks!

The problem is that your original portfolio holds certain information about open positions (like how long they are opened, etc...). So in order to switch portfolio completely you would have to wait for all positions to be closed first to be safe.

We don't support migrating live positions from one portfolio to another and we don't intend to at this point. Sorry.

admin

• Administrator
    • Pair Trading Lab
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 04:39:22 pm »
Few tips how to work with portfolios:

1. You can always add pairs to live portfolio (from PTL website; this operations is still permitted even for portfolios bound to account). In PTL Trader you need then go to Menu -> File -> Update Portfolios from PTL to sync the change...
2. You can mark pairs that you don't want anymore as Status = "No new positions" from PTL Trader -> Status -> Maintenance. These pairs will stay in your portfolio but they won't open any new positions ever again.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 04:41:01 pm by admin »